Wednesday, May 23, 2007

mixed message

Okay, to be honest, I dont see why you might care, unless you're a serious closet Davophile, but I'm going to let you all know that I've merged an old, secondary blog that I kept on the side for more prosaic stuff which I called "Dave's Evil Twin". That blog was supposed to be about boring domestic stuff, but it was so good at being boring that I had no interest in writing for it. Finally, I got tired of having that unused space, and so I've taken the "best of" that blog and merged into this blog. As for the old blog space, I've changed it into an Art Blog (see the sidebar; for google-protective reasons of self-censorship I dont want to give you name of my Art Blog, but you can figure it out.) Enjoy!

Below is the stuff from Evil Twin which I've incorporated into Daveawayfromhome:

September 4th, '05 - "how to catch a fly (well, maybe)"
September 6th, '05 - "Seven Things I swore I'd never say, or, the foolishness of youth"
September 8th, '05 - "curious compliance code can cripple kiddie's calliope"
(and again) - "Purging myself of a meme"
September 13th, '05 - "Kittens! Kittens! The Kittens are Here!!"
September 20th, '05 - "Reason no.58 why I need to get back to school and get a new job"
September 23rd, '05 - "Shiver Me Timbers!"
September 27th, '05 - "Nostalgia throws me a Loop"
September 29th, '05 - "We're NOT havin' a heat wave"
October 1st, '05 - "Reason no.59 why I need to get back to school and get a new job"
October 1st, '05 - "the home family in linear form"
October 3rd, '05 - "The Boy and His Other"
October 8th, '05 - "But I dont feeeel old!"
October 11th, '05 - "shopping with Dad was fine with me"
October 11th, '05 - "the importance of proper headgear"
October 11th, '05 - "last entry today, I swear"
October 24th, '05 - "t-shirt"
November 11th, '06 - "tripping thru memory lane"




On a darker note...

I feel like a Tom Waits song. How's that for a metaphor?

I dont know what it is lately, but I'm just not very confident about much of anything. My gut is queasy, I feel all anxious, and my confidence is slipping into a slippery-sided hole. Maybe it's just the job-hunting blues, but maybe not.

To be honest, I'm feeling less and less sanguine about the future of America. The Republicans show no signs of shaking off destructive elements of the Religious Right, and the Democrats show no signs of having much (if any) moral or intestinal fortitude. The Justice Department has been compromised, perhaps fatally; the military is falling apart; much of our social infrastructure has, or is being, dismantled for profit, and the only people who continue to gain anything are those who already have so very very much. Throughout all this, the People seem more interested in watching TV and eating at chain restaurants than they are in demanding reform. As for the people who supposedly "represent" us in the government, they show no sign of really giving a damn what we want, unless our "needs" are accompanied by cold hard "campaign contributions".
I'm beginning to think that the only answer (assuming you dont plan to desert this sinking ship) is to go to ground and hope that your grandchildren have a reasonable place to enjoy their old age (or that you have grandchildren at all). Get a house with a backyard, buy yourself some gardening tools, and hunker down for the Long Run, 'cause apparently We as a nation feel the need for a Hard Lesson. someday, maybe, this and other blogs will provide valuable material to future historians as they write the story of the decline of America, because it's starting here, today, courtesy of the Moral Majority, the "free speech" of campaign contributions, and the dogma (that's the "dogma", not the idea) of the Marketplace.

How's that for a fun post? Especially one coming, as this one does, on the 2nd anniversary of the beginning of this blog. Still, arbitrary time-markers must be observed, right?

Actually, I cant feel too bad, since Los Fabulous Cadillac's "Matador" just gave me a nice boost.
I love my I-pod. Have I mentioned that?

4 comments:

United We Lay said...

I think we need to start a commune. You, your wife, and kids come on out to PA and we'll buy a farm and hide from the rest of society. We'll invite other like minded people to join us, then we'll declare ourselves a state.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

funny, my new post is on the same vein.

daveawayfromhome said...

Sounds good, until the theocracy's version of Janet Reno shows up (except this time I dont think we will set the fire; I'm not much for purification by flame, but ye olde witch-hunters were).

Besides, you'll play hell getting my wife out of Texas. I've been trying for years.

daveawayfromhome said...

I probably stole it from you, psychicly (sp?).