Saturday, February 03, 2007

fuck the new blogger

I have just been hijacked by Blogger. So far I've resisted the changeover to the New Blogger, because I've yet to encounter it anywhere else without finding it to be a bigger pain in the ass than the Old Blogger. But today, when I tried to log into my blog, I was forced to switch over. I seriously considered just leaving, starting anew at wordpress, or maybe getting off my fat and lazy ass and putting my blog on my own thoroughly underused domain space. I still might, if the New Blogger pisses me off enough.
I hate the New Blogger. I hate the way that the comments always ask that question about "unsecured objects", and the way that they always need a second shot at the word verification. I hate the look of the buttons at the bottom of the screen when you're writing (those lopped-off corners and the awkward font). I hate that I'll have to log in with my full email address rather than just "daveawayfromhome". I even hate that label thing at the bottom, and while I did it this time, I may never do it again, just to spite Blogger.
But most of all, I hate being forced to change over. If it aint broke, then dont fucking fix it!!!

4 comments:

United We Lay said...

The only think I don't like about the new blogger is that the freakin' security thing comes up every time you make a comment. Other than that, I find it cooler in terms of changing the layout, adding things, and publishing.

Omnipotent Poobah said...

Um, I guess this is the wrong time to mention that I did it relatively easily today.

And as far as I can tell with how I use it, I see absolutely no difference except the spell check works again (which broke on the old blogger when the new one came out).

It still works like the old one. I couldn't upload a graphic today and it crashed on me once so I lost half a post.

I guess you can say it's just the same only more hyped.

daveawayfromhome said...

My objection lies in the way they acted like I had a choice, but then forced me to change over. Had I just started today, I'd have been fine. Had they simply said, "as of February 2nd, you will have to switch over to the New Blogger", that would have irritated me, but also would have be OK. But to act like nothing has changed, like I still have a choice, but then send me down the cattle chute before I can post another thing, that chaps my ass. Hence, the bad language.

Then there's the comment section, which gives you about 10 seconds before the word verification expires, then forces you to retype your password over and over again (if you're lucky enough not to have your entire comment eaten, that is).

Bill said...

I agree with your frustrations! There's a lot of things I can't quite figure out why they changed (I especially hate having to click on "new blogger" just to get to the login box). I also hate having to type in my email address instead of a USERNAME OF MY CHOOSING and having to type in a grossly mish-mashed password that I was forced to contrive using uppercase, lowercase and numeric characters. Just how secure does my blog have to be?
There are some improvements in the new blogger, but nothing to warrent making me suffer - especially when I try to post on someone else's blog (I can't even begin to describe the experience if I'm not already logged into blogger).
Ugh!
I share your pain.
And how many times do I have to type in the verification word before it thinks I got it right?