Sunday, June 17, 2007

will we get the point? (in our gut)

"At the end of the day, I believe fully the president is doing the right thing, and I think all we need is some attacks on American soil like we had on [Sept. 11, 2001 ], and the naysayers will come around very quickly to appreciate not only the commitment for President Bush, but the sacrifice that has been made by men and women to protect this country."

--Dennis Milligan, the head of the Arkansas GOP
Hmmm. One must wonder if this is a Republican Talking Point? And if it is a Republican Talking Point, that is, a soundbite conceived by Republican strategists for the purposes of holding on to or gaining power, then one might also wonder if it is just a phrase, or if there might be a further plan to go along with such a statement, such as discovering such a plan, but allowing it to procede, just to make a point without any talking.

Personally, should such an attack occcur, I would feel that perhaps the Bush Administration should not have wasted so much time and so many resources in Iraq, while letting the mastermind of 9/11, Osama bin Laden, escape scott-free. I would wonder if having troops and defensive equipment in the U.S. rather than half-way around the world might have made a difference. I would look at the chaos which must inevitably result from such an attack and wonder if it may have been less so had our National Guard been more available. And I would look at the timing of the attack, and the "warnings" that the Administration released beforehand, and wonder at how it created a perfect political climate to give the Republican Party its return to power. But most of all, I'll wonder, from my prison cell, detained as a terrorist sympathizer, whether my nation will ever be free again.

props to the Existential Cowboy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would wonder about all those things as well. Alas, what has gone wrong with America is deeper than a mere failure of policy with one administration. Bush is but a symptom of it. As a former mayor of Houston once said of Houston: "There is something rotten in this city", there is something rotten in the American mentality. Any population consists of a certain percentage of criminals and just plain bad people. But after Ronald Reagan, it seemed as if it one half of the population turned downright mean-spirited, possiblly "evil" as Dr. Gustav Gilbert would have defined it.

Sad!

daveawayfromhome said...

My description of the "sainted" Ronald Reagan when he was president was that he was "mean". This in my tender teenage years when I hardly noticed politics. But I noticed bad behavior. With this man considered a hero and a great president, is it any wonder that so much of our nation seems to have lost any moral common sense it once may have had.