Sunday, September 23, 2007

farewell

Gone but not forgotten; Gabriel, AKA the Mighty Hunter, on September 21, 2007, after 16 good years. Preceded by his brother from a different mother Petronius the Arbiter (11 years gone), and survived by Mary Mary and the Royal Twins*. Cause of death unknown, but a coyote is suspected at some point before internment.

Gabe was my first pet, a classic Morris orange tabby. He was one of the sweetest, most patient cats I've ever known, and even though he'd spent over half his life making it impossible for us to own any rugs, he still easily qualified as a Good Cat. If cats go to a place after they die, Gabe's will be a Valhalla-like spot, and he'll deserve it.

* There's Harry, The Black Prince, also, but he's a dog and cat protocol prevents his mention.

7 comments:

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

for me, it was like losing a human every time, and perhaps why i stopped keeping one. my thoughts be with you.

Anonymous said...

RIP. We've got a 20 year old feline and dread the day when she passes....

Chance said...

It's always sad when a pet dies, but it sounds like this one lived a good long and eventful life. I've had a lot of cats die too early (traffic, storm, dog attack), and now it's nothing but dogs for me.

Bill said...

I hope he meets up with my buddy Max - it sounds like they'd get along.

Unknown said...

My condolences Dave. I know the heartbreak of losing a good cat too.

Did you go out and buy some rugs yet or did you learn to live without them? I have to admit I own rugs but only to provide entertainment for my cats.

Anonymous said...

I am so sincerely sorry. There are few things sadder.

daveawayfromhome said...

Thanks, y'all. He was a good cat, and he lived a good life, and some day I'll stop expecting him to walk up and say "hi" when I get out of the car.