Tuesday, August 14, 2007

give me your rates

caution: deregulation kills
This is just a quick question, and I beg of you, even if you've just accidentally dropped by, to leave a comment with an answer to this question:
How much do you pay for electricity per kilowatt hour?
I ask this because I just got a fabulous offer to buy electricity at 11.3¢ per kwh. This is a 17% savings over the usual 13.6¢ or so that electricity generally cossts here in Dallas. But it's 70% more than my mother pays for electricity in Oklahoma (7-8¢). Why is our electricity more here than in Oklahoma? I dont know, because when Dallas electricity was deregulated, we were told that it was being done for the benefit of the consumer, and that competition would lower the cost to us. Didnt happen, but at least we havent gotten rolling blackouts. So I'd like to know just how much this "competion" is costing us.

8 comments:

Bill said...

I pay 11.43 cents per KWh here in the San Francisco bay area. That's baseline usage. Usage over the baseline becomes progressively more expensive. I get 357 KWh of baseline usage, according to my most recent bill, which I hit exactly last month, according to my most recent bill. I still haven't figured out how I am using 357 KWh of electricity - we must have a leak somewhere. ;)
How much do you use?

Bill said...

OMG, I totally misread my power bill. Apparently, I used 776 KWh last month! WTF?

Bill said...

Sorry for the multiple posts, but just to add some perspective, to use 776 KWh would require the equivalent of burning about 10 100W light bulbs and one 75W bulb 24 hours a day for 30 days.
And I don't even have any 100W bulbs!

daveawayfromhome said...

Bill, I updated my prices (I actually looked at the bill).
Wasnt California deregulated? I believe that market manipulation was what led to the summer of rolling blackouts, was it not? We used 1822 kwh last month, but then it actually gets hot here (though not as hot this year as last). I envy you your mere 776 kwh.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

i remember how competition was supposed to lower phone service, cable tv and airlines.

profits are indeed up.

daveawayfromhome said...

But Rev, what do you pay?

Bill said...

Dave - that's about what I use during the winter (which is like 9 months of the year here) with the heaters going all the time. We don't even have air conditioning, which gives me a cost break during the summer.
Those rolling blackouts were quite annoying, as I was working at home at the time. My wife bought me a UPS to keep my computer running after hearing me scream so much.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

exactly, much more dave.