Thursday, October 18, 2007

tales from history

Okay, so, sometime during the Dutch Renaissance, they had a huge fad for tulips, and I'm talking huge. They were totally ga-ga over tulips, to the point that a single bulb (of the right variety) could bring the price of a house. Then one day, the fad collapsed, as most fads do. The story of the collapse I heard was this: One day, a merchant (himself a tulip collector) was looking out the window at the marketplace. Alang came a sailor, looking for whatever sailors look for. He stopped at a tulip merchant and, thinking that the tulip bulbs were onions, picked one up and took a bite. Supposedly, seeing this, the collector said to himself, "Oh my God! They're just flowers!" He dumped his stock, and probably said the same thing to friends, panic ensued, and lots of people lost their shirts, etc.

Some days I feel that way about blogging.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You feel like eating a tulip bulb? :-)

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

damn, i just took that and stretched it to the stock market.

DUMP EVERYTHING!!!!!

Chance said...

Oh, the blog bubble (or bluggle, as we blognoscenti like to call it) will burst one day, you mark my words. And on that day, I will blog every detail of the crash.

daveawayfromhome said...

Pay no attention to me, I'm working twice as many hours as I'm sleeping, plus I've got some sort of nasty flu-like crud, so I'm not functioning at a very high level. I've always liked that story, though. And sometimes, I do think, "it's just blogging". I still love it.