Saturday, March 14, 2009

Friday Night Show

Not long after I moved to Austin, Texas in 1985, I went to a show at some bar whose name I dont remember (it became the Crown And Anchor later on). There this wierd guy came out and sang a strange little song about the Moon, then literally ran away. That guy was Daniel Johnston, and the song, odd as it was, has stuck with me for over two decades.
There's a reason for that: Daniel Johnston is a genius. It shows best not in his own recordings, but in the recordings of those who cover him. Give these versions of his song "True Love Will Find You In The End" a try, then run out and buy Kathy McCarty's album "Dead Dog's Eyeball", an album (now discontinued) of Johnston's songs. You'll love it, and you'll understand what I mean.











props to Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands. Check out some of the other cover collections there, also. The "Such Great Heights" one is especially fine, but the whole series is terrific.

No comments: