Saturday, June 17, 2006

memorial

Albert Earl AwayfromhomeOn June 7th, 2006, my father died. He was eighty years old and had lived a good life, I think. The impact of his death still hasnt totally hit me, mostly, I think, because I'm letting the idea into my head in small bursts. Like this one.
I mean, I know he's gone, but I try not to think about it, except in a controlled manner. Largely, I'm successful. Is this healthy? I dont know. Maybe it is for me.

He wasnt supposed to die so soon, though he wasnt in very good health. He was in that stage before the stage when you're counting the days. His kidneys were failing, but no one had said, "he's only got x length of time to live". He had, however, reached the stage where he needed dialysis, and while it cleared up the yellow tint he'd taken on, the process was apparently too much for his body, and it simply shut down.

Now he's gone, and I'll have to figure out problems with air conditioning, auto mechanics, and household appliance repairs all by myself.

So much of my childhood is a blur, a jumble of images without reference. Never having been one to dwell on the past, I now find myself unable to recall much of it with any sort of clarity, so the loss of my father is not only physical, but, I'm discovering, mental also, and this may be the worst part.

He would not have approved of my blog (amusingly, while talking to his brothers, uncles whom I'd not seen in years, I discovered that they were lifelong liberals). But it was the upbringing he gave me that taught me to question things, and that is much of what made me the person I am today. And I think of that and am grateful.

Thanks, Dad. I'll miss you.

6 comments:

United We Lay said...

I'm sorry for your loss. My husband lost both of his parents two years ago and is still recovering. If there's anything we can do, please don't hesitate to ask.

Omnipotent Poobah said...

Dave,
A stirring tribute.

I lost my mother nearly 25 years ago and like you, my youth was a blurr - mostly because I didn't want to remember quite a bit of it.

When she died, I started the process of recovering all those memories. It's a process I continue today. Everyone experiences these things differently and I can offer this paltry advice:

Grieve in the way you see fit, whether it is to not be refelective or whether you decide to immerse yourself in it. At times like these you don't control much, but by controlling that process, you'll become stronger.

From here on out, the memories won't go away, but they will become a little softer around the edges. Enough so that you'll be able to take them out, examine them closely, and put them back on the shelf without fear of cutting yourself.

My condolences Dave and if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. You know where to find me.

Dave said...

So sorry, man, good luck getting through it.

Me said...

I am so so sorry.

daveawayfromhome said...

Thanks everyone. I'm more worried about my mom than anything. After 47 years of marriage, she's going to be pretty damn lonely in that house by herself, and there's not much I can do about that, unfortunately. (I did offer her one of my kids, but she turned me down)(odd, huh?)

Unknown said...

My condolences, Dave. I am sad to say that even though my own father is not dead, he has choosen to pretend that we (I, my brother and one sister) do not exist.


I miss my dad.