Tuesday, April 29, 2008

no worries

All work and no play makes Dave a dull blogger, but I wanted to throw out this tidbit:

However bad the economy might be right now, it's neither too bad, nor bad enough for Americans to rise up and demand that our "leaders" really do something about it. How do I know this? Because the Hannah Montana Corporation is expected to be a billion dollar business by next year. So if we've all got that much money to throw away on a child pop star, and this is everyone, not just the richest one-percenters paying her, then we've obviously not yet hit the point of pain. Or, at least as far as our Masters are concerned, not anyone important.

See you at the pump!

addendum:

I dont actually care much about the whole Miley Cyrus/Vanity Fair flap, but if you want to read more about it, this would be what I might have said, had I been a bit smarter and more interested.

props to the princess

Okay, and I'll throw in this article about the flap by Jamie Lee Curtis, mostly just because I really like Jamie Lee Curtis.

Seriously, though, this wasnt supposed to be about the Vanity Fair shoot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just foolish. I blame my peers who live in suburbs and give in to their tots' every whim. You shouldn't be able to go to your first concert unless you're old enough to drive, or have a friend who can.
Maybe these Liebowitz photos will do something to tarnish her image and turn off some of the "respectable people".

Yeah, Dave, you've got it right. These days we people who pump our gasoline are the ones with the Achey Breaky Hearts.
How do we beat the Dark Side, young Luke?

daveawayfromhome said...

Sorry, the Dark Side has way too much inertia. Think of America as a supertanker.
You'll know things are coming to head when Starbucks declares bankrupcy and tanning salons start disappearing (seriously, paying someone for the equivalent of lying in the sun? And dont even get me started on a $4 cup of coffee).

I figure another four of five years of increasing pain before people start to get actively angry. Till then, tighten your belt and lower your goals, 'cause it's not going to be good time to be a little fish.

As for the Liebowitz shot, I can see the controversy, but personally think it's a rather beautiful image. On the other hand, gothic romanticism has never been a personal turn-on (nor 15-year old girls... well, not in more than a couple of decades).
Isnt it funny how women can make movies and photographs that, if they were shot by men using young boys, would be described as "homoerotic", and yet that word never comes up? Is it a gender-specific term?

Unknown said...

I thought they were very good..but I love Annie L's work.