Thursday, January 08, 2009

pop quiz

NOT!


Q: The next day after a hard and productive day of work, which comment are you most likely to hear from your boss?
a) "Great job you did there!"
b) "I noticed when I came in this morning that your area is kind of a mess. Clean that up, will you?"
c) none.
For me, the usual answer is "c". I never get "a" because that would lead to awkward questions come raise-time when they tell you how inadequate an employee you are and that's why you only get a 2% pay increase. I also get "b" a lot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually get C on an everyday basis and that's OK, I don't expect a compliment every time I do something.

On the other hand I do get an A fairly often, so it balances out.

Unfortuneately, I have extraordinary bosses.

They reap what they sew eventually. You have my sympathies.

daveawayfromhome said...

I got a "b" the other day, after working on the weekend. The boss had just gotten back from vacation, and I could imagine the wheels turning in his ego: "I've been gone a week and just look at the state of this place. It's a good thing I'm back".

Yeah, the place'd just fall apart without a good boss-induced sweeping.

Unknown said...

I would rather get 'c' than 'b'.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Self-employed means you get NONE OF THE ABOVE.

Unknown said...

well, the boss I have at the job I hate would say A. Actually she is an awesome boss who thanks me for my effort often--its one of the only things that has kept me there (that and the crappy job market). of course, I did not finally get my damn phd to answer phones well - I am out of there as soon as its possible (maybe by the end of this month).

:) I'm an ungrateful shit yes? sigh . sorry cant help it.