Sunday, October 02, 2005

Shakabuku

When I was 11 years old, I went to the optician and got my first pair of glasses. It was astonishing! Across the street I could see the air conditioners in the windows and there were signs everywhere with words I could read. What had been a lot of vague shapes suddenly had form and detail! There was suddenly a whole new dimension to the world that I hadnt even suspected was in existance.

Tonight I have had a similar experience. The title of this blog comes (to me, at least) from the movie Grosse Pointe Blank, where it is defined as a "swift, spiritual kick to the head that alters your reality forever". I hope that's what I'm feeling now, I really do.

The feeling comes from having just finished the book Dont think of an elephant, by George Lakoff. In it so many of the things about not only the ruling Republicans, but also the failing Democrats suddenly became much, much clearer. This may be temporary insanity, I dont know. But I dont think so.

I'm going to bed now. I think I'll be able to sleep. My mind is so full that it is currently incapable of racing, and to sleep (ay, perchance to dream) may help it all settle out to make even more sense (or rather, communicable coherence - it already makes sense). At this point I dont know whether to despair (Conservatives are much more powerfully placed than I had suspected) or hope (do I now have tools for battle?).

What I do know is that tomorrow, I need to get on Amazon, and order a copy of this book, and return the one I read to the library, so that maybe someone else can get
the same mental dope slap I just got.

1 comment:

Brian Dunbar said...

Interesting. 'The Atlantic' reviewed this book a few issues ago. Mixed results - the critic felt the book was going to lead the Dems further off-track.

But hey, you've read it and I hadn't. Interestig to see two reactions, polar opposites from each other.