Thursday, December 01, 2005

Why didnt someone tell me it was "blog against racism" day

First, the disclaimer: I am a (so-called) white-boy. I really dont think of myself that way, but of course that doesnt really matter. Like any "majority" member, I think of myself as "the norm", but I'me rally just the biggest group. The culture I grew up in is the culture I grew up in, and that's all it is to me.
But then, that's because I'm in the majority. Still, I have an idea wha it is to be outside of the norm. In school I was pretty much an outsider. I still am, really. But that's as close as I can get, and I doubt it's much use for deep insight into racism.
Mostly, I try to avoid it, as much as I can. I think I do alright.

Lemme tell you a story:

When I was in junior high, say, 13 or 14, I saw the movie "Donavan's Reef" for the first time. In it, John Wayne conspires to hide the half-polynesian children of his off-island friend from their presumably uptight half-sister, who was arriving from Boston to their little island paradise. The oldest girl, who was about my age, becomes upset about Wayne's plan, crying out, "it's because I'm not white!"
Now, I'm watching this, and thinking, "what?", because I would have very happily taken that girl to the next school dance. But once you acknowledge that, "yes, I suppose she isnt really white, is she?", but that you are OK with that, then how far is it, really, to say that a beautiful girl is OK whatever race she is. And then a not so beautiful girl.
And if the girls are OK, then the guys must be, too.

Now, culture, that's different can of worms, and I suspect that some of what is called racism these days is actually culturalism, but that's a whole 'nother post.

1 comment:

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

man i am soooooooooooo busy and four days behind you no suckee i tell you if you suckeeeeeeeeee.