Thursday, September 21, 2006

the devil and daveawayfromhome

You know, it never occurred to me before (in what I will admit is my Americanocentrism), but I thought of the following (once I stopped laughing) after hearing Hugo Chavez's remarks to the United Nations:If you are a fundamentalist Christian, of the apocalyptic bent, and you're from any part of the world where the U.S. is not the greatest thing since sliced bread (or, in some cases, regularly-occurring bread), then you probably consider our President to be an excellent candidate for AntiChrist. I myself have "joked" about it, as much as one can joke about something that fits so neatly into a fear drummed into one during childhood. So is it any wonder that the world hates us?

2 comments:

Saur♥Kraut said...

There's not a christian fundie in the entire world that thinks that Bush is the antichrist. There is a popular believe among protestants that the Pope (or a future pope) is, however.

daveawayfromhome said...

Yeah, I know about all the anti-Popists (my first encounter was a pamphlet in Tulsa from a couple of wackos named Jerry and Susie Alamo), but I find it hard to believe that there arent some non-American Fundies who havent come up with the connection. I mean seriously, the lies, the power, the finger on the button, surely someone who actually believes this stuff has thought of it.