Tuesday, January 29, 2008

i-pod tag

Okay, so the other day I responded to a tag from Sh3rrie Lydia (I may never get used to that), and darned if it wasnt a nice change (dont get any idea, you taggers out there). So, I thought I'd do it again, mostly because I love my iPod and her semi-tag was about iTunes. Rules this time: Turn on your iTunes (or iPod). Set the player on “Shuffle” (always). Write something (a sentence, a paragraph, a story, a word,) about the first 5 songs that come up. Can you handle that? It’s really not as hard as it might sound… as music, no matter your taste, is what makes the world go round.

1. George Jones : The King is Gone (and so are you)
Um. Well, it was an entertaining song, and the first time I ever heard it, as far as I can recall. This would be from one of my wife's CDs. Still, you gotta love Jones and any song that uses the phrase "yabba dabba do".
2. Lightnin' Hopkins : Gambler's Blues
Sigh. Another new one. It might have helped were I not listening to the "Newstuff for testing" playlist (a general playlist which all new entries go into so I can sort the wheat from the chaff). Love the blues, though.
3. Steely Dan : FM
Ah, here we go, familiar territory. High school, and I loved me some Steely Dan. I've got all the old LPs, and I played the magnetism right off of my Greatest Hits cassette. "Nothing but booze and Elvis, and sombody else's favorite song". Well, maybe not Elvis, more like Phil Collins (or, God help us, Heart, one more time, since it was the 80's). But always, always, somebody else's favorite song. That's what you get for liking the alternative stuff in an age of corporate radio (yes even then). Funny now that much of what is considered "classic" 80's stuff are things you never heard on the radio (or at least, not where I lived).
4. James Moody : I'm In The Mood For Groovin'
Another new one.
5. Brooks and Dunn : You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone
And the wife's stuff again.

So, that's my five. Didnt go so well, huh (blog-wise, anyway)? Just for a feel of the rest of the night (I was working while I grooved), here's the next 45 songs I heard...

Alkeos : O Sirtis
Bob Marley and the Wailers : Roots, Rock, Reggae
David Bowie : Changes
Annie Lennox : No More "I Love Yous"
Brian Setzer Ochestra : One More Night With You
Alabama : If You're gonna Play In Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle In the Band)
Memphis Slim : Walking Blues
Guy Clark : Comfort and Crazy
John Lee Hooker : Boogie Chillun
Weezer : Island In The Sun
Santana : Oye Como Va
The Byrds : Psychodrama City
Blink-182 : Mutt
Big Bill Broonzy : In the Evening When the Sun Goes Down
Africando : Yaye Boy
James McMurtry : Talkin' At the Texaco
Eddie and the Show... : Mr Rebel
Steve Miller Band : Space Cowboy
The Killing Joke : Eighties
Chet Baker : All Blue
Rolling Stones : Paint It Black
Johnny Cash : Field of Diamonds
English Beat : Twist and Crawl
Beastie Boys : Boomin' Granny
Ella Fitzgerald : The Lady Is A Tramp
Freddy Fender : Corina, Corina
Los Lobos : Peace (live)
Billy Joel : She's Always A Woman
Romantics : What I like About You
Screamin' Jay Hawkins : I Put A Spell On You
Lightnin' Hopkins : Found My Baby Cryin'
System Of A Down : Needles
War : The Cisco Kid
Guy Clark : Fool On The Roof Blues
Tom Waits : Barcarolle
Stéphane Grappelli : It's Only A Paper Moon
Oingo Boingo : Private Life
Nirvana : Milk It
Blind Lemon Jefferson : See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
Peter Case : It's All Mine
Agepe : Ela Não Gosta de Mim
Pete Yorn : Turn of the Century
Screamin' Jay Hawkins : Constipation Blues
The Dropkick Murphys : Skinhead on the MBTA
Lightin' Hopkins : The Last Affair

The highlight of the evening? Stéphane Grappelli doing Paper Moon, or maybe John Lee Hooker (so cool), or Africando's Yaye Boy. Low point? Definitely the Beastie Boys doing Boomin' Granny. Seriously, what a bunch of sick freaks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never get tired of the musical memes. People's record (I said "record") collections are very telling... :)

daveawayfromhome said...

Mine would tell you that I've got very broad musical tastes. Or maybe that I'm a hoarder. One of the two.

daveawayfromhome said...

I actually still have records, by the way. I even play them, occassionally.

daveawayfromhome said...

hmmm, that makes the "hoarder" more likely, doesnt it?