Tuesday, February 03, 2009

existential crisis, pt 1

Well, even as Obama brings change to the nation, so to does change come to my life. Not as welcome as Obama's, unfortunately. I wont go into details, suffice to say that the tone of this blog will probably change as I wrestle with various questions, including the self-indulgance of blogging, trying to define "success", and the perennial "what the fuck am I doing here?".
Rest assured, my posts will still contain the usual witty wordplay and inscrutibly obscure references that you're all accustomed to, but now levened with maudlin pathos which I will no doubt bring me great embarrassment in the future (possibly as soon as next week, even).
So why do it? Because I must. I didnt choose the Arts as my field of endevor because I thought it'd make me rich, I chose it because I ask questions, which is the purpose of all great art, even if it's badly done.
Funny thing is, even now as I contemplate the various questions which arise, I find myself thinking about them in the form of a post. Is this because I am addicted to blogging, or did I take so readily to blogging because I was already thinking this way? I dont know, but that's one of the questions I'll have to consider, isnt it?

Anyway, I felt that my loyal readers deserved some warning. I'll try not to make everything I post so dramatic. Maybe everything will right itself in a matter of days, even.
No, probably not.
Anyway, it helps my internal debate to see the various thoughts laid out in black and white, which means that you, dear readers, will be the victims of that need.

So, sorry about that.

2 comments:

opit said...

Blogging ... is indulging the muse. People become addicted to running around collecting ideas and need time to deal with an overabundance of ideas milling around the beanie. Voila. Share.
Sometimes you even get a quip or more that makes you think.
But it's a creation - almost a thing of its own aggregating self. You can feel a connection to the timeline where you put it together - and realize you have changed too.

Unknown said...

My thought is that drama of a personal nature is hard to put into words...although I have no problem waxing poetic about political drama or someone else's personal drama...unless it hits too close to home..which yours does it seems.

Hang in there Dave, life is full of ups and downs, sort of like a carnival ride, but not quite as fun of course.