Tuesday, March 09, 2010

explaination

Here's the thing about romantic comedies. It's fairly easy to write one, because it's a formula:
a) boy meets girl.
b) boy and girl fall in love.
c) obstacle comes between boy and girl, but is overcome.
These three elements can be arranged in all sorts of ways or split up into pieces or whatever, but they're always there, and we always know how the story will end.
What separates the dross from the gold is the quality of the writing.
Which leads me to the following statement: no one can be considered a truly great writer or film-maker, unless they have made a successful romantic comedy. Good? Yes. Really good? Sure. But great?
Overcome the formula, then we'll talk.

7 comments:

Pryme said...

We need to name some successful romantic comedies before I can make a comment on your declaration.

daveawayfromhome said...

First, an easy one: Twelfth Night. Or perhaps Much Ado About Nothing. But maybe the Bard is too obvious.

How about The Philadelphia Story?

daveawayfromhome said...

On a more recent plane, how about Amelie? Or Sixteen Candles? Or You've Got Mail? My wife says Bull Durham qualifies, also.

Pryme said...

Shakes defined the genre pretty much, so we'll accept his work by default.

But seeing how your examples aren't even sniffing 2000 says a lot.

Unknown said...

This is a great post. I just had one of the ‘Doh!’ moments and ran back to correct my own site before publishing my comment. You see my own comment form did not match what I’m about to advice. I get less comment than you, so never noticed any problem. I’ve changed it now anyway so here goes.

get academic

daveawayfromhome said...

Mack! You old spammer you! Blow me.

Pryme said...

LOL. Dave: you still got it, dude!