Thursday, December 01, 2005

compelled?

Once again, I fish the wide oceans of the blogosphere, seeking a fine catch...


I really should just leave it alone. I really should.
But I cant.
It's just too ridiculous.

So I'll quote this from brand-new blogger Rondi in Florida:
Merry Christmas 2005

Merry...
As much as I would like to wish you well, and say Merry Christmas, I am limited due to the societal tides that have ebbed toward the shallow end of the pool. We are a people with well & good intentions just as long as they do not include Christian views. The loudest voices have done
strikingly well in strangling the conservative views of our magnificent country.
George Bush is pretty loud, is she talking about him?
No-ooo, I dont think so.

I'd guess that maybe this has something to do with the "Holiday Tree" in Boston that Jerry Falwell is so bent out of shape about. Seriously though. Conservatives, and therefore Christians, control the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. They are about to be in position to dominate the Supreme Court for a decade or three regardless of their future performance at the Polls. Gay Marriage is taking a beating in most of the country, and the farcical "Intelligent Design" continues to make headlines despite all common sense. How exactly have conservative views been strangled?

Maybe I'm reading her wrong though. Maybe she is a real Christian, rather than the ersatz breed one sees so often these days. Perhaps she's lamenting the deaths of both soldiers and civilians in Iraq (not just Americans, but all nationalities, something one never hears from Republicans). Perhaps she's feeling sadness at the uncharitable acts of this years Congressional budget, with its continuing cuts to programs for the poor (wouldnt Jesus have given medical help to the poor?).
Maybe she just feels the same weariness that so many of us feel as we watch the Republican Party talk one direction, yet behave in another.

Naaahhhh.

I'll say Merry Christmas. Give me a couple weeks, and I'll even mean it. Meanwhile, I'm going to put on Vince Guaraldi's masterpiece "A Charlie Brown Christmas". That always makes me feel better. Maybe she should try it.

No comments: