Saturday, February 16, 2008

no, nope, nuh-uh, never, no way
negative

"Speeches don't put food on the table. Speeches don't fill up your tank, or fill your prescription, or do anything about that stack of bills that keeps you up at night...There’s a big difference between us — speeches versus solutions. Talk versus action. You know, some people may think words are change. But you and I know better. Words are cheap."

Hillary Clinton
Dont get me wrong, I dont have anything really against Hillary Clinton. If she should win the White House, that'll probably be okay (of course, relatively, almost anybody would be better than George Bush). But seriously, who buys into bullshit like this.
Hillary, I have a message for you. What you said there, that was a speech. It was words, it was talk. The bitch of any election is that you never know until you have a winner in place how that winner is going to do, and that includes you, ma'am. In 1999, I dont think even the most pessimistic, cynical Liberal thought George Bush would be this bad.
Unfortunately, your speech is disturbingly similar to one of my least favorite Dubya-ism: You seem to think that because you say it, we ought to believe it, and because he says it, we ought not*. Sorry, I've had seven years of that bullshit, and I'm sick of it. Make your promises, and act like a person who will keep them.
Oh, and dont think that I'm not going to look at promises already made. Remember that next time a vote comes up in the Senate for something Lord Bush wants but the rest of the nation does not. The Democrats, whether up for election in 2006 or not, rode to the Majority on the idea that they would stop the madness of King George, and so far they've been a terrible disappointment. This kind of talk doesnt do it for a lot of us any more, and having been a victim of it yourself since you made the "awful" proposal that maybe the government should provide health services the same way it provides fire and safety services, you'd think that you would know better. Alas, apparently not.

Here's the thing; after a couple of decades of listening to the Republican Party tell me how wonderful they are and how awful everyone else is (even as their wonderfulness was demonstrably not true), I've pretty much decided that when someone, including you, Ms. Clinton, tell me not to trust the other person, I'm more inclined to look askance at you.

* Also, it's something which Dubya displays a real "talent" for; it's one of those statements that your opposition could just as easily say about you.

2 comments:

Chance said...

exactly my own thoughts when i read that quote. but better expressed, of course.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

boy she can fight though. that is is power is at stake. you just inspired a great video idea.