Sunday, August 03, 2008

workin' man blues

A couple weeks ago, the VP where I work made a decision: I was to be moved to a different area of the company. My hours would remain the same, as would my pay. But now I am doing a completely different job, one that has absolutely no connection to anything which I spent all that time and money studying on college. Not that my previous position couldnt have been done by a high school dropout (and, lets be honest, how many of our jobs is that actually true of?), but at least it was connected (allowing me the illusion that college was not a complete waste, job-wise).
I am, to say the least, totally pissed off and completely demoralized. The area where I work was not closed down, I was simply moved, despite being better at doing the work than anyone else in the building. No "thank you"s, no "sorry, but"s, just "you're moving. permanantly". Then, to add insult to injury (or injury to insult, I'm not sure which), the boss dismissed the previous ten years of me busting my ass as "pushing a button and waiting three hours" (which certainly explains a lot, actually).
There is the rather gratifying reaction of pretty much everyone when they heard that I'd been moved, which was a combination of puzzlement and disgust. I dont think that the decision will do much for morale around the company (which has been on a downhill track for years - the morale, that is); if the reward for a decade of hard work is to be unceremoniously moved to another area for no apparent reason, then what exactly is the point of going the extra mile? The problem with treating your employees like disposable and interchangeable cogs is that they will see no reason not to act like disposable and interchangeable cogs. If your boss sees what you do as just a job which anyone can do, why should you feel any different?

Anyway, that's my tale of woe.

7 comments:

Pryme said...

Those sentiments some up feelings at my job perfectly. As one (ex) co-worker told me, "Everyone's valuable, but no one is replaceable."

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

This the environment we seem to heading towards, it's not condusive to good work being done by good people.

daveawayfromhome said...

Yes, weirdly enough, the nation's businesses seem to be moving away from the idea of highly skilled labor, to more of a jack-of-all-trades kind of labor. Problem is, that's hard to find and when it is found, no one wants to pay for it.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain my firend...been there and done that.

I hate to say this, but I've been working for over 40 years and what happened to you is replicated a thousand times each day.

I've made a living for most of my life as a jack of all trades, I just made sure I was highly skilled in all the trades I was in. It doesn't matter.

Stay strong though. You have my sympathies.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry.

100 Farmers said...

You know that you are incapable of floating. Start moving those arms. You are an intelligent and creative person. You know I think you can walk on water.

Unknown said...

This saddens me..it seems they don't give a shit about morale and probably are hoping you get pissed off enough to leave, which they could then fill your position with someone making less than you and no tenure so to speak.