Monday, May 25, 2009

accident report

Had a little "excitement" this weekend. Around 1-ish in the morning on Sunday there was the unmistakable sound of screeching tires and colliding cars. Since we dont live on a very busy street, but do live on one with a lot of parked cars, it was a pretty good bet that somebody hit a car. Twice. I ran outside and sure enough, there was some drunken cowboy trying to push my truck down the road. Neighbors appear also (belonging to first car hit), and soon the occupants of the offending vehicle are sitting on the curb and I'm holding their keys. Eventually, the police came, laughed about the breathalizer results, and hauled the offenders and their four-wheeled carcass away, leaving a mess for me to clean up.
So now, in addition to all my other expenses that I cannot meet, I get to worry about fixing my truck.
Fortunately, the damage wasnt actually all that bad. Most of the damage was to plastic and sheet metal, the only real structural damage seems to be to the bumper, which was shoved up and back a bit.
It's still drivable (or was once I secured the cowl under the bumper back on), though it looks kind of like hell now. I could have been a lot worse.
The irony of the whole incident is that a few months ago I would have been parked in a different space facing a different direction, and would have perhaps been missed altogether. The reason I wasnt: a parking ticket for facing the wrong direction. One guess to how I'm parked today.

5 comments:

Omnipotent Poobah said...

I can feel your pain. A few years back a moving van parked up the hill from my house rolled away, reached about 35, and slammed into my parked truck pushing it into the house and demolishing one corner of it.

My truck was totalled. The rental truckl wasn't scratched.

If it had been about a foot to the right it would've hit a telephone pole that almost certainly would have fallen in my neighbor's drive way and crushed the 4 new cars parked there. 3 ft. to the left and it would've plowed directly into my garage pushing my wife's and daughter's car directly into our living room.

I never have gotten my $1500 deductible back because Budget rent-a-truck (BTW the Highway Patrol verified the rental had no brakes) wouldn't pay and the renter's insurance wouldn't pay either. After 5 years, we gave up on getting it back.

So, I got dinged for $1500 for reading the Sunday paper in the comfort of my own house.

Why the hell didn't I get a ticket to warn me out of the way?!

Chance said...

man, that's lame. I hate it when totally preventable bad crap happens because of idiots.

Lydia said...

Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute...

Why isn't the drunk hick paying for your truck to be fixed? If he doesn't have insurance, your insurance company can go after HIM personally to pay for that. Who gives a shit if it takes him 30 years to pay it off to them? You are totally innocent and I think you should unleash the insurance hounds! Or better yet, ME. In a fight or flight situation, I almost always believe in puttin' up your dukes. I'm ready to beat someone up... and drunks on the road seem like really good punching bags...

daveawayfromhome said...

Well, I'm sure that the insurance company (with whom I have Uninsured Moterist coverage) would be going after the driver, if only to claim his truck. Unfortunately, I suspect they'll have to get to him through the Immigration folks. Did I mention that he was uninsured? And had no license? I didnt, did I? My bad.

Unknown said...

I was nailed by an uninsured hispanic..my insurance paid to total my car as the assholes didn't think 1500 to fix the door and quarter panel was a good price.

The cop told me he couldn't tell him what his birthday was on the fake ID..which told me he not only had no drivers lic, he probably had no insurance. I was right on both counts.