Friday, June 12, 2009

randomness

My father died of what was probably diabetes-linked kidney problems. He was also pretty out of it for the last decade of his life. And while he was never hospitalized for hypoglycemia that I am aware of, I cant help wonder after reading this article if there wasnt a connection between his blood sugar and his mind.

Here's good article on malaria and pesticide resistance from Millard Fillmore's Bathtub.

13 appalling things about your groceries that'll make you want to start a garden. Or, here's a crazy idea: buy raw food, and prepare it yourself! (props to Pryme.)

Okay, seriously, just how much does it take in this country to provoke a populist uprising? They've already got us by the balls, but they just keep coming up with new ways to squeeze yet more blood from our stones. Maybe if they fuck with our video entertainment that'll get us riled up enough? Do we really need our internet service to be run like our cell phone companies are?

You might think this is a joke, but it is not. I think about food at least as much as I think about sex, and I suspect that'll only become more true. Even when I'm 75, I'll still be able to eat 4 or 5 times a day. (by the way, this one's NSFW)

Here's how to make home-made yogurt!

Edmund Andrews was caught in the housing finance implosion even as he reported on it.

Here's a good essay on the health care issue.

Could somebody please commission a poll in Minnesota asking people, if they could vote again today, would they pick Al Franken or Norm Coleman? I'd love to see the results of that one. Anyone care to make a bet?
later on...
Here's one, but it's not quite what I was looking for. It'll do, though, it'll do.

3 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

My dad is diabetic and in the UK and I'm sure the US, their is accepted and well based knowledge that clearly points out the mental effects of diabetes upon the mind, whether that be mood swings, behaviour patterns and dementia.

daveawayfromhome said...

Mostly my Dad's problem was some kind of medication they prescribed for his chronic headaches. It fuzzed him out and even after my mom got him off the medication, he never seemed to recover from whatever the drugs had done to him.
Still, I wonder how much of a role the diabetes (which was not severe) played in his mental state.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

A lot, trust me Dave, it is one of the great underplayed downsides of diabetes, it is a character transforming illness and effects the mind greatly and the personalaity of the sufferer.