Wednesday, January 07, 2009

home, sour home

According to a recent poll of some sort, Dallas ranks ninth on a list of places people do not want to move to. It doesnt rank at all on the list of places people do want to move to. I say this second thing because New York City ranks number one on both.

For me, the most interesting numbers were the ones showing median income, and median home values. For Dallas, the median income was about one third the median housing price. For NYC, the median home price was twelve times the median income! Now, I ♥ NY, but, seriously, how can anyone afford to live there? On the other hand, I can afford to live in Dallas (sort of), but I dont want to, so maybe that's not a good yardstick.

7 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Dallas smells. Best bit of Texas though.

daveawayfromhome said...

You havent been to Big Bend.

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I also quite like the Eastern flatlands going into Louisiana.

Anonymous said...

I personally think you should come further West... bluer skies... bluer maps... but I could just be called "selfish"...

daveawayfromhome said...

If I could afford it, I'd go west, though I'd probably get distracted and stopped around the Four Corners area. I really like the desert.

I've been in L.A., though, and I like it, but it's way too expensive for me, and I prefer small towns. If I could get a really good photography job, though, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about still photography for film and TV?
You could feasibly live in the Inland Empire, an hour out of the city... deserty... very pretty...
To quote my good friend DaveAwayFromHome... "Just sayin'..."

daveawayfromhome said...

Oh, I've thought about it alright. Were I single, I'd be out there giving it a shot, too. Unfortunately, while I'm fine living in a dump while building a new career, the rest of my family is not so keen.

That could just be an excuse though.

How tough is it to get a job doing stills for the movie people?