Sunday, November 09, 2008

that's all I have to say about that...
for now

I've tried to stay out of the gay marriage fray, having made my opinion known years ago, knowing that people apparently need to be bigoted assholes, and living in Texas myself, where ignorance is an official sport running slightly ahead of football.
But here's someone else's opinion, and it's a damn good one, so I'm going to post it:
"I'm not gay. None of my best friends are gay. It doesn't matter. When a government uses law to sort people into categories, whether it's straight/gay, black/white, rich/poor, religious/not, it's a misuse of power. Official power. The power with the most guns behind it that not only threatens force, but uses it regularly. Bravo to The People for electing Senator Obama (though I voted for Senator McCain), but shame on those very same people who voted for Prop 8. You just don't get it yet. "Change" for you is just another empty motto, huh? I'm a conservative and even I voted against Prop 8."
That'll do for now. I figure maybe when my kids are my age we might have pulled our heads out of our collective asses, but probably not. So, I figure I've got plenty of time if I feel the need to voice my opinion.

Last note: 10 "reasons" to oppose gay marriage.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As I said at my blog..this is nothing more than 'separate but equal' bullshit.

It didn't fly when they tried to keep blacks from marrying whites and it shouldn't be allowed to stand now for gays and lesbians.

daveawayfromhome said...

Anytime you descriminate based on inherent physical characteristics, that's as bad as rascism. If you cant do anything to change the way you are, be it skin color, physical disabilities, or sexual orientation, then you shouldnt be penalized for it (unless, like a blind person wanting to drive a cab, you need the characteristic to do the job).

Of course, there are plenty of conservatives (not all, but enough to be really irritating) who think that homosexuality is a choice, and that gays raising children are as dangerous as blind people driving cabs, but there are also people who think that the world is flat or that George Bush is a great president. Those people may be hard to ignore, but I think their opinions can be safely dismissed anyway.