Sunday, September 21, 2008

proposal

one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different resultsI realize that no one reads this thing anymore (I have a sitemeter account to prove it), but I'll toss this idea out anyway:

How about creating a new "national insurance fund" which will be run by the government and funded by some sort of tax on financial transactions? This way, next time the Republicans convince us to let them "earn" money willy-nilly, then stick us with the bill, we'll have a little nest-egg all ready for that purpose. In this way it wont really even be a tax, since they'll get it all back in the end anyway.

Or do we want to keep paying as much for our banking as we do for our wars?

And why, do you suppose, that it's good for the nation to bail banks out a problem of their own making, "saving" us all from some hard financial times that might actually cause us to wise up and stop spending like drunken sailors with someone else's credit card, but bad to finance health care for children (at a considerably lower cost, I might add)?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I realize that no one reads this thing anymore..."


So completely not true and you know it, clap your hands. Sometimes I don't feel qualified enough to leap into political discussions, though I agree with you about almost everything you write, my dear. :)

daveawayfromhome said...

Yeah, I know a few people read this regularly, and you know I adore you all, but sometimes I just get feeling sorry for myself. And even though I may feel stupid about it later, I'll leave the evidence here to keep me humble about myself.

Still, it's a little galling to know that over half the people who visit my blog come just to look at at one image.

Unknown said...

I read your blog Dave!

Now, about this hosed up bailout bullshit.

I am sorely pissed off that once again we reward, with tax dollars, idiots that run companies into the damn ground.

The auto industry is next..you know that right?

daveawayfromhome said...

Oh, I know. And for what reason? They all build cars that would be useful right now, but for some reason felt it would be better to sell behemoth gaz-guzzlers to us instead. Ever hear of a Kei truck? Farmers, universities, and the rest of the world has, but it's not an option on U.S. roads.
As for safety issues, how much would it take to make them safer? Alternately, if these were the cars on the road, rather than Yukons and Hummers, wouldnt everybody be safer?