Monday, May 08, 2006

know when to hold'em, redux

So, was everybody impressed by Hurricane Katrina? I know I was. Are you ready for more? Well, of course not, who is. Is it obvious that I'll be ranting here about global warming*?
Quit that! Take your fingers out of your ears and stop that damn humming!
I'm still not totally convinced that this is a case of global warming, or that global warming is even happening (in a man-made sense). Fairly convinced, but not totally. I say this because there's still some debate going on (even though it seems to be very lopsided, and not terribly convincing on the con side), and because this is a global question.
In case no one noticed, the globe is a really, really, really big place. I'm not sure that 5, 10, 20, or even 100 years is enough time to tell what's going on. Of course, the release of millions of years worth of CO2 which was once stored away in the form of the organic matter which we now call fossil fuel is a pretty good arguement for global warming being our fault (CO2 apparently being the cause of global warming). Still, there is some possibility that the projections are wrong (or that the reasons for them are).

But see, to me the science here seems pretty irrelevant. Whatever it is that's going on, we need policy to deal with it anyway.

Imagine this: You're cold, and you need a sweater, so you go to the store to buy one (this is America, after all). They have two choices.
One is a wool sweater. It'll keep you warm, but you know it's going to be a bit itchy.
The other is incredibly, magically soft, and is guaranteed never to be too warm or too cold; the drawback (and you knew there was one) is that there's about a 50/50 chance that the sweater will suddenly sever your head from your neck.
Which sweater do you choose?

Personally speaking, I'm wearing wool.
Maybe politicians are made of sterner stuff. After all, almost nobody (except maybe really rich kids) ever get to the heights of power without taking a few big chances. Maybe they would take the magic sweater. But in theory, this is supposed to be a representive government. If they want to wear the magic sweater, that's OK with me, a 50% decrease in politicians would suit me just fine. But I dont appreciate them making me risk my neck, too.

Too much analogy for you? Okay, here it is in a nutshell: If there is a chance that we are making life unlivable on this planet (the only one we have so far), wouldnt it be wise to stop doing the things that may be destroying it?
Years from now, if further studies show we're wrong, that we havent been warming the planet, then we can all slap ourselves on the forehead and have a good laugh with our grandchildren. Then we'll all go out, get into our electric hum-vees (charged with solar power) and go have a picnic someplace in the clean air.

One last thing. (Put on tin-foil hat now.) Perhaps we should support the BushCorp in their plans to use a nuclear device or two in Iran. After all, if the planet is getting warmer, perhaps even uncontrollably warmer, then what better antidote than a nice nuclear winter?

*In the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that this is a reworking of a post from last August.

4 comments:

Saur♥Kraut said...

You know, I was just at Bryan's blog and saw a video that really creeped me out. I researched it, and think it's entirely genuine. Have a look at it, and let me know what you think, will you? It's here. I don't want to be an alarmist, but...?

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

"But see, to me the science here seems pretty irrelevant. Whatever it is that's going on, we need policy to deal with it anyway."

can I vote for you for president?

daveawayfromhome said...

Well, that's the myth, isnt it. Anyone, even me, can grow up to be president.
Now, if someone has got a corrupt fundraising machine that I can borrow...

daveawayfromhome said...

Saur, I watched that video, wrote up a comment on it, then lost all access to blogspot while posting my comment...

I'm sure it was a coincidence.

The video is, to be sure, worrisome. I've been aware of Rex84 and its subsequent programs, but have never heard about the various details in that much... uh, detail.

What I found the most disturbing was the name for (one of the) program (s?): "End Game". That is far too close to "Final Solution" for any program involving prison camps. Whether it's a joke or not, it indicates a level of thinking that is at best sick, and at worst, evil.

How much research did you do? Did you read the Army document on Reg 210-35? (I didnt) Did you look up the Oregon Senate Bill #742? Did you Check out the Ohio Anti-Terror bill?
I've gotta say, find the Ohio bill a bit worrisome, given the voting battleground nature of Ohio, and the Diebold questions regarding vote fixing (though living in Florida, I'm sure this is old hat to you).

Another thing occurs to me; although it probably wouldnt be allowed for "security reasons", I'd be curious to know just how competently any preparations in these camps have been done. Are the camps actually secure, or is it mostly a stage set created to siphon public money off into the coffers of the contractors, such as Haliburton?
The idea that this administration is capable of pulling off the coup that this issue implies seems laughable at first thought, but second thoughts make me wonder if many of the "blunders" of these people arent clever ways of destroying things they dont like in an underhanded way.

Finally, if you want to be more disturbed, have you seen the way Dubya yearns towards monarchy? Not just disagreeing with laws, but blatently disregarding them.

This comment may need to become a post all by itself.