Saturday, May 20, 2006

let's do the numbers

Number of soldiers who died securing the freedom and liberty of America in the Revolutionary War:


4,435

Number of soldiers who have died since then defending the freedom and liberty of the Unites States of America:


615,784

Number minus the Civil War, in case anyone wants to be picky about things:


431,190

Number of civilians required to be killed in order for We, the People to hand over our freedoms and liberties to George Bush and his Republican Cabal in order to buy our "safety":


2,752

The Bush administration, those in the public who still support him, the Republican party which has yet to repudiate him, the Democratic party which has yet to show any sign of courage or common sense; all of these people have, in five short years, done more to destroy the essential elements that make America what it is than even Joseph McCarthy ever did.

And where is our "Greatest Generation". You know, the one that sacrificed 292,131 of it's best and brightest, to save the world from tyranny, fascism, and military aggression. Are they all dead? Or have they also exchanged the dead flesh of the victims of 9/11 for a bit of responsibility-free "security".

Worst of all, though, is the general American Public, which has yet to show any real sign of alarm, or even concern, at the political sea-change happening just beyond the television they keep their eyes glued upon. Maybe this summer, when "Lost" is in re-runs, they'll notice something's up. Unless they're too busy worrying about immigration and gay marriage.

I am embarrassed.
I am sickened.
I am baffled.
I am enraged.

The military numbers can be found here. But one number they wont give is the number of soldiers per 9/11 victim whose deaths defending this country are now being rendered meaningless by the surrender of our liberties to the Lord Decider:
223.76 : 1

Sleep tight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y ¿a cuantas personas han matado para justificar sus supuesta libertad? Estados Unidos todo lo hace para justificar su libertad, todo mundo los odia por las intromisiones en otros paises.

daveawayfromhome said...

Thanks for the comment, I wish I spoke Spanish, but for some stupid reason I studied French and German. Useless, like too many of my fellow countrymen.

United We Lay said...

I do, I'll respond in English for everyone, since (s)he obviously reads it.

Pakal,
I don't think any deaths are justified to secure further liberty unless they are on our soil and on our own behalf. It is not our job to secure liberty for the world. The world can take care of itself. We have our freedom now (though less due to the current President), and we don't need to interceed in other countries in order to secure further freedoms. Unfortunately, we have gotten involved in the politics many of the South American countries to our own detriment, and it is the same in the Middle East.

Dave,
Learn some Spanish. It is the fastest growing language int he world, and pretty soon, you won't be able to leave home without it. At least make your kids learn it.

Omnipotent Poobah said...

Interesting statistics. I'd like to know the mathematical probability of being personally struck by a terrorist attack.

My guess: about the same as winning a lottery.

daveawayfromhome said...

@ Polanco: yeah, I know. I've been feeling the lack of Spanish since I first moved to Texas. For thos of us who dont read it, can I get a translation?

@ Poobah: Actually, I'm working on something similar, so maybe I can add that to it (assuming I can figure out how to calculate odds, which I suspect is not that easy). Watch this space.

daveawayfromhome said...

According to Babelfish, here's what Pakal said:

And to whichever people they have killed to justify its supposed freedom? The United States all makes to justify their freedom, all world hates by the interferences in others paises.

No, that's not a typo.