Wednesday, May 17, 2006

spurned

For stealth reasons, whenever I access this blog from work, I go by way of Google. Over time I've watched the number of results climb from a few dozen and up slowly through the hundreds. Last February or so, I was excitedly watching the magic "1000" results approach, when something extraordinary happened.
One evening, as usual, I searched for "daveawayfromhome". The results I got astounded me. I had gone from somewhat over 900, to more than 9000! I watched over the weeks as the numbers continued to climb, eventually peaking at somewhere between 15,000 and 16,000.
For the last two or three weeks, though, the numbers have been falling, just as mysteriously. At the last search, "daveawayfromhome" came in at 552 results.

I'm devastated, naturally. I feel like Sally Field at the Bizarro World Oscars. What's really odd about the falling numbers is that I seem to have just as many pages of results as I ever did. Yes, I know that they dont show you all the similar ones, but just how many similar one were there, and where have they all gone now?

Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll fall back on the tried and true blogger mantra:
I'm only writing for myself,
I'm only writing for myself,
I'm only writing for myself,
I'm only writing for myself...

No comments: